Just a Sec..

Hold on...


Juuust wait....


Gimmie a minute.....


Be patient.......



Hold......no

     Don't you just hate when someone makes you wait? Wait in line? Wait on the phone? Wait in traffic? We find our tempers flaring, often times quickly and out of control like a raging forest fire. Similarly both fire and anger are destructive.

   I am not the most patient man out there, and I really can't deny that. My partner is likewise, not the most patient woman ever. We are human, and we are not perfect (shocking I know.). I have worked on being a more patient person, and it has been a trying process.

     There are countless verses where we are told to "wait on the Lord". Patience is even listed as a fruit of the spirit (I think it's the second one listed). So why, as Christians, do we struggle so much with this concept of waiting?

   Let's look at the Israelites after they left Egypt. Had they been patient and just followed God they would have made it to the promised time fairly quickly, instead it took them 40 years. I have friends nearing 40, and my parents are nearing 50, so that helps put some perspective on things; That's almost a full lifetime!

     For a more relateable situation let's look at our own lives. We live in a society of instant gratification; fast food, sitcoms, instant coffee (that should be a sin in itself), microwave meals, the list is endless. We get an entire story blasted at our eyes in roughly 22 minutes, eating food that we won't wait more than five minutes for, because 30 minutes or it's free! Having worked as a pizza delivery guy for a couple years, I've come to really hate that one (seriously, whoever started it should be slapped). Let's go even one step further; we are so unwilling to wait, desiring satisfaction right now, we're seeing huge increases in Sexually Transmitted Illnesses, a normalizing of teen pregnancy and abortion, and a complete lack of responsibility for any of it. At 20 years old, it shook me to find out a girl I had slept with got pregnant, and then proceeded to get an abortion. What was the underlying issue? My inability to wait for what God had in store for me, because I want it and I want it now. I'll dive in to patience and our romantic lives in the near future.

     In 1 Samuel 13:8-14, we get the story of Saul and his men awaiting word from Samuel. When Saul doesn't get word from Samuel as fast as he would like, he jumps to making his offering. Of course soon after, Samuel returns, witnesses Saul's impatient move, and we learn the consequences of Saul's hastiness.

     "How foolish!" Samuel exclaimed. "You have disobeyed the command of the Lord your God. Had you obeyed, the Lord would have established your kingdom over Israel forever. But now your dynasty must end, for the Lord has sought out a man after His own heart. The Lord has already chosen Him to be king over his people, for you have not obeyed the Lord's command"

  If Saul had just waited five minutes, his life would have been vastly different. How many times have we missed out because we couldn't wait for five minutes?  Allowing our stubbornness and impatience get the better of us can forfeit the greater things God has for us. I have a bad habit of buying super cheap guitars (musicians know why that's bad). These cheap guitars are made with low quality wood and parts, and generally are not nearly as durable or playable as a their pricier counterparts. Why do I bring this up? If I was patient, I would save some money, and then purchase a guitar that will potentially last me years. Instead I buy something cheap that I probably won't get a long time out of and I won't enjoy nearly as much, because instead of waiting, I want it now!

     Stop forfeiting the riches God has for you for quick fixes. Ultimately, none of them are nearly as good.

    Lord, help me. Help me to wait. To wait on you, to wait for your promises. To be patient, and not to rush things  ahead of your time; that I would not miss out on your goodness and grace, as a result of my own selfishness. Help my faith Lord, that you do all things for the good of those who love you.

Additional Verses
1 John 2:15-17
Psalm 40:1-5
Romans 12:12

Comments

Popular Posts