Blood, Sweat, and Tears

Blood, Sweat, And Tears.

     That phrase invokes a vision of hard, physical labour, and as the subject of this post is work it seemed a well suited title as well. Personally, I've been working at one kind of job or another since I was roughly 12 years old. I started working with my uncle who lived in Calgary at the time; he ran renovations for another hard working gentleman, and eventually he moved on to doing his own contract work. My primary tasks were handing him tools, cleaning up, and smashing things (it was renovations after all).

     Since then I've done some job hopping, and made two attempts at college for a better career; all to varying degrees of success (or failure depending how you look at things.) I did the usual fast food and grocery store jobs as a teenager, and after the first round of college I went in to the oilfield. When that started to get dicey as the economy shifted I went back to college again, and tried my hand in sales, when that wasn't fitting the bill I went in to carpentry for a while, until the economy really fell and now I work in a kitchen. Ultimately, the title of my job is insignificant.

     We live in a time where there's almost a condescension towards those who work in labour settings; whether it be construction, garbage collection, or even a restaurant. Now, don't get me wrong, we should have goals to work towards ( for me I want to get my car paid off and buy us a house), but our worth should not be from the title of our occupation nor the income. We should work because hard work is valuable and ultimately it is profitable.  The bible speaks of the value of hard work, and the consequences of laziness and not working.
     Proverbs 28:19
Those who work their land will have abundant food,
    but those who chase fantasies will have their fill of poverty.


Proverbs 12:14

From the fruit of their lips people are filled with good things,
    and the work of their hands brings them reward



 Proverbs 10:4-5
Lazy hands make for poverty, but diligent hands bring wealth.
He who gathers crops in summer is a prudent son,
  but he who sleeps during harvest is a disgraceful son

2 Thessalonians 3:10 
Even while we were with you, we gave you this command: “Those unwilling to work will not get to eat.

     It's in our best interest to be dedicated and hard workers, as Proverbs lays out our work brings about reward, but laziness brings us disgrace and poverty. We should go as far to work as though our boss was God, working to the best of our abilities. It doesn't matter if you're delivering a pizza, framing a house, or performing open heart surgery, you should do your best.

Ecclesiastes 9:10
Whatever you do, do well. For when you go to the grave,[a] there will be no work or planning or knowledge or wisdom

Ephesians 6:7-8
Work with enthusiasm, as though you were working for the Lord rather than for people. Remember that the Lord will reward each one of us for the good we do, whether we are slaves or free


     In all aspects of our life, we should represent Christ, including our occupations. A solid work ethic, aside from representing the kingdom of Heaven, also does a lot of benefit. It's easier to find work when people will vouch for how you work. You can't further a career being lazy, and you probably won't get too far in life.  Now I'm not talking about owning expensive things or big houses, I'm talking meaning.

     There's something to be said about a hard day of honest, meaningful work.  Some of the best days I've had, weren't when I made the most money; but when I felt I had my all in to something.  Whether that be carpentry, cooking, or otherwise.  There's a reason the bible tells us to do all things to the best of our abilities (besides a paycheck), because it benefits our body, soul, and mind.


 


Comments

Popular Posts